Sunday, April 11, 2010

One Sentence Journal

I'm a horrible at keeping a journal. Usually when I finally decide to write something down, it's just one giant complaint to myself about how I haven't yet figured out how to make a meal plan, exercise regularly, keep the bathroom clean, give the dogs their medicine, or get regular pedicures. I'm such a loser! No. Wait. I'm not. Anyway, I decided that was in no way cathartic. I don't really need written documentation of my bouts with poor self-esteem.

So sometime last year when I was reading The Happiness Project blog, it mentioned keeping a one sentence journal. It's a simple idea. Every day, your jot down a sentence or few about the highlights of your day. Just a couple of sentences. Not an entire page. Not a chapter. So it's not a daunting task - not another thing on the giant list of things to do. When I read about it, I realized that Mike and I did this to keep track of the craziness mentioned in my last two posts. We're so smart! Okay, so we may or may not have actually done the documentation until after the fact, but we didn't wait so long that we didn't remember any more.

I started one back in November. Admittedly, I've missed large chunks of time. I thought that a "usual" day wasn't worth documenting. So I'm going to start including things in my day that would make me happy and give me something worth writing down. We'll see how it goes.

I'm doing mine on the computer, but I'm using the format of this paper version. I like it for its review factor. Each year I can look back and see what was going on in previous years at that time. I generally have a horrible memory, so when in doubt, I should write it down.

1 comment:

Jennie said...

This is such a good idea! It makes me want to start doing the Grace in Small Things project again, where you think of five things every day that you're grateful for (big or small). I was going to do that every day but you know how that goes. Oops.