Friday, March 12, 2010

Story Time: The Funky Adventure - Part 1

We're getting ready to move again, and that got me thinking about the last time we moved. What did we do right? What can we improve on this time? How many furniture pads will we need? How many burly college dudes will it take to unload our condo? Wouldn't that be a very interesting blog post? No? Okay, good. It's not just me then. I'll try to tell a better story than that. But I make no promises.

It's really crazy how our move to DC worked out. While everything happened rather quickly at the end of the story, it started with a trip to DC in May 2005 for a friend's wedding. Little did this friend and his new bride know that Mike would practically be living with them just one summer later.

But with our 2005 trip, the seed was planted. We just kind of clicked with the area and all it had to offer. We didn't seriously think about moving here at that point. But I was convinced that Mike was going to go back to law school at some point, so I kept telling him that we were going to move to DC for that. He thought I was nuts. Who's nuts now?

Moving along to March of 2006. We took a spring break-ish trip to DC to meet up with some of my friends from the Alternate Universe, and we fell in love with the place again. I don't remember what it was exactly, nor do I remember what we did during that trip. All I know is that a month later we were talking to our realtor in Dayton about selling our house.

We spent May and June preparing the house to sell and trying to find jobs in DC. Mike had more interviews than I did so he did a lot more driving back and forth. We were very lucky to have friends already out here. We had a place to stay when we came for interviews and house hunting (thanks M & BA!) and a place to keep a car when there was flying back and forth.

On June 19th, our house was officially for sale. At that point, the houses on either side of us were also for sale. One had been on the market for at least six months. The other for two or three. And I believe one across the street was for sale, too. (I may or may not be making that up for added drama. I can't remember anymore.) But they were all too proud of their homes and priced them too high. We were not proud. We wanted to sell!

The beginning of July was all about interviews. Mike had come out earlier in the month. I had two, both scheduled for the same day. July 14th. That was also the day that we learned that you can't get out of a Metro parking garage unless you have a SmarTrip Card. We discovered this after running from the station to the garage in the pouring rain, driving to the garage exit, realizing we were idiots, Mike running back to the station to get the stupid card, then the return trip to the garage. Luckily for everyone, Mike was just the chauffeur that day. He didn't have any interviews. So his drowned rat look was okay. The thunderstorm was brought to us by the 200 degree heat in DC that day. Typical for mid July. Not super great for wandering around all day in interview clothes.

I tell you these things so that you (whoever has made it this far) will learn from my ramblings. So remember, SmarTrip Card needed to get out of the garage on weekdays, and DC is wicked hot in the summer. So hot that god cries a thunderstorm.

So back to July 14th. I had a really good interview at the first place (pre-thunderstorm), and a stupid waste of time interview at the second place. So we head back to M & BA's house to sit in their cool, dry townhouse and relax. Until we get a call from our realtor in Dayton. We had an offer on the house. After some minor negotiations, we had a contract on our house. Woo Hoo! We sold our house in less than a month. Those suckers on our block were *still* for sale. Haha! SUCKERS!

Then I had these thoughts: Wait. Wait a second. We just sold our house. We haven't even starting looking for places to live here. Neither of us have jobs yet. What in holy hell have we done!? Come August 15th, we will be homeless and jobless. WHAT HAVE WE DONE!?!?

Come back later for the riveting conclusion.

.

No comments: