Thursday, September 3, 2009

Lucky (okay, maybe there's some skill involved)

Before Mike went to Cincinnati to work this summer, I vaguely told my bosses what was going on: He was working at a firm in Cincinnati that also had offices in DC and Alexandria. All true statements. It would have been silly to tell them exactly how law school summers work, and that the summer is a 10-week long interview to work there - at that exact place - and that we were planning on moving back to Ohio if this thing worked out. He still has another year of school, and I still need a job.

The insurance industry isn't exactly the most stable right now, and with layoffs in my office and talk of shrinking the program that I work on, I wasn't looking to give them a reason to send me packing.

But, I chat with my Regular Boss a lot. And she's not stupid. And apparently I'm not subtle. As we were chatting one day a couple of weeks ago, she mentions that she asked my Other Boss (and her boss) what the company would be willing to do if I decided to up and leave for Ohio. Would they be willing to work something out for me to work remotely? Other Boss said that I am a very valuable asset to the company, and she would see about working something out. I was shocked to hear this because Other Boss is generally against any work from home or remote-type options.

So today, I have a meeting with the bosses about some unrelated business. Toward the end, we're chatting, and the Other Boss says that she had been thinking about how Mike worked in Cincy for the summer, and that our families are near there, and that we might be thinking about going back. She said that Regular Boss hadn't mentioned anything (lie, but whatever), but she thinks I'm fabulous and would like to work something out. She had already spoken to others who could make or break this decision, and they were all on board. So if Mike and I should decide to move back to Ohio, the company would certainly work something out for me.

I told her that was great, and I was very flattered. And I asked if this meant that she promised not to start looking for my replacement, because Mike got an offer from that firm, and he accepted.

"I KNEW IT!" shouted Regular Boss.

Of course she knew it. I'm transparent. But really, this couldn't have worked out any better.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Whew! That is lucky! And skilled, on your part. :-)

Anonymous said...

way to work a situation to mutual advantage!

Mama Babs said...

oh how COOL!

but i don't like the bit that you're going to ohio. but you already knew that.

good for you!

Joe G. said...

Yay! That's awesome that they're going to make something work for you. I've always thought you were a valuable asset to the company. And working from home is pretty much the best thing ever.

Jennie said...

I wanna work from home! Sorry, that was whiny. What I meant to say was, OMG that's awesome! Hee. Also, could you work out a similar plan for me? Thanks!